The Second Amendment and Protecting Yourself from the US Government

I think it is obvious that the second amendment, written and approved by states that had just finished using guns to overthrow a government they saw as tyrannical, was written to ensure that each state would have a militia and that each individual would be armed against a potential future tyrannical government right here in the USA.

Because I think that is obvious, I am not going to bother arguing for it.

Today, though, I was reading about governments in Romans 13. Here are the pertinent passages:

Every person is to be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists autohrity has opposed the ordinance of God, and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

In light of Amendment 2 and Romans 13:2, I say to citizens of America that you have the constitutionally protected right to bear arms that are powerful enough to protect you from the American government (good luck with that). I say to the citizens of heaven that overthrowing earthly governments—and most likely using any gun for anything but hunting—is forbidden by the Kingdom for which you are an ambassador.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Second Amendment and Protecting Yourself from the US Government

1. Ruth says:

I find it all a little daunting. People have an innate desire to protect that which they love. Would it be alright to kill an animal for food? or should we wait for “manna”? Is there more faith involved in waiting for deliverance from overt attack on church family culture and mankind in general or “by opposing end them”? I get that “man’s anger does not achieve God’s righteous purposes”. I get that He puts in power whoever He wills. Does that mean we should never move out from the country in which we were born or vote for a different governing party lest we be resisting the will of God for us? I get that we should pray for those in authority but does that mean we should be silent and that governments should never be challenged or questioned? I even get “leave the dead to bury their dead”. I get that we are only here as ambassadors of the kingdom but do we turn a blind eye to cruelty and need because we are “in the world but not of it”?
    I’m sure we are not to be a bunch of hero cowboys running around playing God and making ourselves out to be the big shot good guys however defending against a “wicked Hamon” type doesn’t seem to be the same thing to me. l]Like I said I find it daunting.

I brought this issue up at one of our discipleship meetings. We usually have about a dozen men there. We talked for two hours. The subject is daunting, as you say. I like my last response to Evan, though:

[Jesus] said once, “You would have no power over me unless my Father gave it to you.” When a synagogue full of people tried to throw him off a cliff, he just walked away right through their midst. I am pretty certain he would not have used a gun, since he taught us that the use of a weapon just leads to death by that weapon.

• Ruth says:

so you believe that when Jesus said to Peter “put up your sword” that was a directive to all believers for all time?
        Is this kind of thinking about the will of God a kind of “Allah wills it” kind of thing?
        What about “Greater Love has no man than this than he lay down his life for his friends”?
        Should we walk past a man being beat up lest we offend the will of God?
        Or is it just overt aggressive resistance you are opposing? It seems indifferent to not intervene to protect the vulnerable. Is this why Deitrick Bonhoeffer was slightly border-lined in protestant circles?
        I am really conflcted

Wow. You have an amazing ability to complicate things. I wrote about a very specific subjecct. Romans 13 and Jesus statement about swords show that carrying a gun and planning on using it to defend against the government is wrong.

Now you are asking about all sorts of other things. Christians debate those things all the time. They can be important. But when they are used to dodge the obvious things, then they are not important, nor good. They are being used as a way to ignore what Jesus said.

I cannot see how carrying a gun, especially for the purposes of the second amendment, can be reconciled in any way with what Jesus and his apostles taught. Asking about preventing a mugging is a good way to dodge the main subject. Every man I know would consider trying to find a way to break up a mugging. I see and feel that. Totally different subject, however, and the subject I brought up is a lot easier to look at. We should at least start where we know the will of God, not avoid the subject because we might not know how far to take related (but not the same) idea.

2. Evan says:

…hunting or self-protection

Whether weapons are to be used by Christians for self-defense is debated even in the circles I travel in. Personally, I could never conscientiously carry a gun for self-protection. To borrow a common cliché, I’d rather die.

• Evan says:

Yes it is debated and I had considered both sides of the issue before coming to my own conclusion. You (or I) might choose to not defend and choose to die instead which of course is one’s prerogative. However if I had to defend my child or family from an armed intruder with the threat of imminent harm, would I choose to sit back and do nothing or attempt to defend their lives? Personally, I could not choose the former. If Jesus was present in the same room where such a threat was about to be fulfilled, would he do nothing?

Yes. He would talk to the demon inside the person and tell it what to do. Humans were no threat to Jesus. He said once, “You would have no power over me unless my Father gave it to you.” When a synagogue full of people tried to throw him off a cliff, he just walked away right through their midst. I am pretty certain he would not have used a gun, since he taught us that the use of a weapon just leads to death by that weapon.

• Evan says:

Yes Jesus would have done something and it would be ridiculous for him to use a gun or any other weapon. God doesn’t need weapons. However my point was in defending one’s family since Jesus presumably would have done something, then it is reasonable to conclude that it is okay to defend my own family as well. I could do it by commanding the attacker to desist in Jesus’ name or quote scripture out loud and engage in spiritual warfare. If all else fails I could employ a weapon. As far as I know, there is there is no scriptural prohibition in the OT or NT against self defense.

3. David Noah says:

Well said… Although it would seem as most don’t know there is a difference between the two governments and their rulers.