Eternal Security/Once Saved Always Saved

I like to find a different way to say “Eternal security is not true” than saying “Eternal security is not true.” I only do that because over the years I have discussed this false, dangerous doctrine with so many evangelicals that it’s been easy to come up with other ways to say “eternal security is not true,” trying all the while to circle them around to the apostle John’s opinion that only “the one who practices righteousness” has righteousness imputed to him by God.

John actually says not to be deceived about that (1 Jn. 3:7), but a rather large percentage of evangelicals are deceived about it anyway.

I’m older now, and I’m on my second bout with blood cancer, being treated with chemotherapy for the second time. Talking with people who refuse to look at the Scriptures any way other than the way they already look at them is pretty tiring to me, and seems kind of useless.

I’ve been enjoying wandering through a friend’s blog today, though, in between naps, and he has taken the time to use his keyboard on a hardened forehead. So if you like eternal security discussions, here’s a guy—Roman Catholic, sorry—who has taken the time to deal with the issue.

Oh, in case you don’t know, I definitely think Roman Catholics, at least in doctrine if not in practice, have a much better teaching on faith and works than the Protestants, pretty much across the board.

Anyway, here’s the post. It’s one in a series.

He apparently goes on a December silence from his blog, maybe for Advent or as a sabbatical, and I here I am on December 1 sharing posts of his. Sorry, RP.

This entry was posted in Evangelicals, Roman Catholic & Orthodox and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Eternal Security/Once Saved Always Saved

1. Restless Pilgrim says:

Thanks for sharing, Paul 🙂

Do you like my blog’s face lift? Oh yes, and technically, I’m Eastern Catholic, although I still breath with the other lung during the week 🙂

Joe over at Shameless Popery republished that series and there was quite a lively exchange in the comment section over on his blog, particularly with the commenter who originally inspired the series.

Yes, actually. I loved your blog’s facelift, though I didn’t realize it was a facelift. It looks great, and it made me want to make changes to mine, but I don’t feel like doing that right now. At this point, I can’t imagine when that would be a priority, especially considering I rarely like the way my blogs look, and I do like it now.

I’ve done a little reading lately on Orthodox history. I just don’t have the memory I used to, so I’m going to have to do a little at a time on an ongoing basis so something sets in there. Sometime, maybe after your December silence, we’ll have to have a discussion about division in the ancient chuches because I find some of their divisions, and the causes, head-spinning. I realize that it is very difficult to compete with a Protestant level of divisiveness–which is like World Cup level–but still … whole nations sheared off in a shot.

And yes, I did see Pope Frances’ call for a return to unity with the Orthodox.

• Restless Pilgrim says:

> Yes, actually. I loved your blog’s facelift, though I didn’t realize it was a facelift.

It used to have lots of brown and look like a travel journal. It’s been that way for years so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

> I’ve done a little reading lately on Orthodox history.

Just to be clear, I am still Catholic, I’m not Orthodox (well, hopefully with a small “o”). I’m just part of one of the eastern Churches in communion with Rome.

> Sometime, maybe after your December silence, we’ll have to have a discussion about division in the ancient chuches because I find some of their divisions, and the causes, head-spinning

Sure thing, I find it interesting too. For example, the schism with the Donatists is something virtually incomprehensible to most evangelicals since the concept of “invalid sacraments” doesn’t have a place in their theology.

> And yes, I did see Pope Frances’ call for a return to unity with the Orthodox.

Yeah, he’s been saying this sort of thing a lot and hinting at it ever since his election. When he first appeared at the balcony in St. Peter’s Square he referred to himself as “the Bishop of Rome” (rather than “Pope”) and spoke about Rome “presiding in love”, a phrase found in the earliest patristic literature, particularly Ignatius of Antioch’s letter to the Romans.

It’s because of Pope Francis’ example that I try and get to Eastern Orthodox vespers once a month.

2. Jon says:

I’m surprised he’s not Church of England what with all that tea drinking.

Never had any issues with conditional security – it makes the most biblical sense. I also tend to find that peers of my generation in the church (in the UK) tend to agree that OSAS is flawed.

• Restless Pilgrim says:

Being Catholic means I get to enjoy tea and alcohol 🙂

“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” – Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
      There’s always laughter and good red wine.
      At least I’ve always found it so.
      Benedicamus Domino!”
      – Hilaire Belloc

I don’t think teetotaling is as common among Protestants as it used to be. I’m way past the Protestant thing, so the “no alcohol” only applies to me because of all the medication I take to control my donated immune system. I watch the grape juice, too, because we all know that it was grape juice (new wine) that made the apostles seem drunk on the day of Pentecost.

3. Janet Takita says:

Paul we recently saw a gentleman on TBN forgot his name but he has written a book called The End of Religion was wondering if you have heard of the book or read it. It seems he has a lot to say similar to what you have been teaching.. A lot to say in favor of community, and man made traditions etc. Let me know ok . Hang in there mighty warrior of God. Jan